Re: [LUG] secure ftp?

On Wednesday 10 April 2002 11:45 am, Alex Charrett wrote:
OpenSSH proves sftp (secure ftp server) functionality, but the client
support for it is poor.  I think putty has a sftp client for windows now
though, although its bound to be command line based./

WinSCP is a great windows SCP client.

Other than than, just say no to wu-ftpd and use something like proftpd for
a more sensible plain ftpd.

ProFTPd is more secure than wu-ftp, which is the biggest pile of buggy sh**
around in *nix along with sedmail and bind.  Avoid all 3 at all costs on any
server that can be accessed from the internet

Saying that, ProFTPd has had more than it's share of problems, if you are
looking for somethign else, try pureftpd, which is very good and also rather
more sensible than other FTP servers i've used, the code is aslo a lot
cleaer.  Though I have used proftpd many times and will continue to do so,
just make sure you are up to date on secuirty issues with it, and monitor the
announce mailing list for it.

~ theo

--

Theo Zourzouvillys
Research and Development

Things past redress and now with me past care.
               -- William Shakespeare, "Richard II"