Re: [LUG] Can't stop printing

Keith Abraham wrote:

Hi Lee
        Thanks for your reply.
        I've made so many attempts to stop the printer that I've had
        many odd effects but yes hat's something like what I'm getting
        at the moment.
        What actually happens is 3-4 lines of garbage and then a
        FF and then the same thing again, forever it seems.
        It also used to do 2-3 lines of garbage and then 2-3 LFs
        which again never seems to stop.
        From your mail I gather you have some notion of what is
        going on so I eagerly await your reply.

Keith Abraham

I had a similar thing happen yes! i have a a lexmark Inkjet which works to a fashion, apparently its something to do with it being a GDI printer and not very well supported in linux,however the CUP's setup has a driver,now all is well with the install except the driver is set with too high default resolution for the printer... the result is 3 or 4 lines of garbled characters and endless blank sheets of paper,just to prove it i set
my oki laser(hplaserjet compatible) with an incorrect resoultion and driver setup and bingo! garbled rubbish and an empty paper tray.

this of course presumes that you use CUP's

Strange thing is RH7.2 Suse7.3 and Mandrake 8.1 and 8.2 all set the DPI to high for the printer and have to be manually tweaked, and it's not just DPI,paper size is never A4 by default GAH :)