Re: [LUG] dns howto

Nick Kew wrote:

If that's all you need, you can just enter it in /etc/hosts on machines
that need to know that name - no need for a DNS server.

I have a script lurking somewhere that takes a Linux box with
BIND 9 compiled from source (or otherwise installed in
/usr/local/bin where it now lives ;), and turns it into a
caching only name server, start up scripts, rndc.conf files,
secrets, and the like.

But I fear if you don't understand the basics it will only
confuse.

Redhat's own named start up scripts left me cold, too complex,
too difficult to modify...

Otherwise, it's too complex for a brief on-list answer, but you may
well find a modern implementation friendlier than the classic BIND
(from the early days of Unix).  I use djbdns from http://cr.yp.to/

Modern - I thought it was older than BIND 9 ;)

Nick and I have had this discussion somewhere before - search
for DNS, Nick Kew and Simon Waters in deja.com.... ;)

Suffice to say I'll help you with BIND 9, Nick will help you
with djbdns, and others will have to help if you go with BIND 8
but Redhat now ships BIND 9....