Re: [LUG] ext3 secure file wipe

Rich Smith wrote:

        I've done a bit of searching but can't seem to find any programs that
securley delete files on the ext3 fs. Both shred and wipe say in their docs
that they cant handle jfs's, does anyone know any 'wiping' tools that can
deal with ext3 (or reiser for that matter) ??

I assume the issue is that the journal part can not be directly
wiped without breaking filesystem rules, so you may be stuck
with "dd" and "mkfs".

If the data is that sensitive put it on encrypted filesystems
(SuSe uses Reiser on an encrypted partition by default) that way
any lost fragments are likely to be unusuable.