[LUG] choices made

From the Plymouth LEA ICT Strategy document available from
http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/star/frames30.htm.

3.3 In the medium term, the SIMS(CAPITA) suite of modules will form
the basis for schools administration systems. The LEA has agreed to
broker a 3-year managed service of support for SIMS provided by
ScoMIS through Devon County Council. The LEA will continue to
facilitate the scrutiny of that service through its ScoMIS User Group.

So, that's cast in stone for now. I was under the impression, from the
Exeter schools IT dude that they had a choice.

I went http://www.capitaes.co.uk to and got a 404 when clicking on
"SIMS Products" in the menu. I fear it already. I had to use another
browser to allow it to use those multiple redirects. Nice.

So, it seems that is just manages some data, as suspected.

[...]

3.5 EMS (Capita) for Windows is currently under development as the
basis of a shareable, relational data base for several LEA sections,
including Governor Support, School Transport, School Admissions and
Special Services. For Student Awards, Belfast City's FEAST software
has been installed following a thorough evaluation of other software
packages. It is expected that this will be developed and meet our
needs in, at least, the medium term.

EMS, the Windows one, seems to use an Oracle database. God, how much
is that adding to the licensing costs?

Capita seem to have got the market sewn up, certainly. Their software
is really quite functional, in context. How many other packages will
handle dinner money, for instance.

I bet real money the data format is proprietry. They offer all the
manages services and stuff that schools can't afford, but the LEA
insists they have. Captive market, or what.

The cynic in me thinks they've got them over a barrel.

I imagine, however, that it's a mammoth task to replicate each bit. I
wonder what they think of it. I wonder how good the Windows one will
be like.

Hmmm

Steve