Re: [LUG] Simian evolution on redhat 7.0?

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 18:13, you wrote:
On 05-Mar-2002 at 16:07:30 MATTHEW BROWNING wrote:
It is both humbling and informative to stand corrected, but I hardly
think that one example disproves the rule.

Yes, I agree and it was a bit over the top. There are, however, other
examples

Penwith Council  SUN, X-terminals
City of Largo FL Linux, X-terminals

Scottish Central police - Windows desktop, but Star Office.  IE not MS.
English Police central technology assessment currently under way of replacing
desktop with Linux.

Strakan Pharmaceuticals - Linux servers, mail and _some_ desktops with
Soffice replacing the previously used MSOffice, or being first option.

Habitat - AS400

Going to work for the council, or to bash figures into a Police computer
terminal is not exactly abstruse employment.

Anyway, few people have learnt to use Windows, or anything of note about it.
What they have learnt is how to use MS Word, MS Excel in a few cases, and a
three pane email system that may or may not have diarying functions, but
probably doesn't have them in use due to the unreliability of the Exchange
server _in average use_ .

Now, actually what they have learnt is a few applications and some
familiarity with the interface produced by Xerox at Palo Alto in the 70s,
advanced by Apple, Acorn and ... others ... and now to be found on video
recorders, TVs and whatever.  Show many people a KDE desktop and they'll be
polite about your colour scheme, and then get on with simple word processing
and answering mail on Soffice or KWrite (or Windows 3.11 Write under WINE)
and  only barely notice that they are on a slightly different  GUI.  "is this
that new XP?"  "Yes, it is an operating system chosen because of our
eXPerience with early versions of Windows"

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/