Re: [LUG] Simian evolution on redhat 7.0?

Hill House Hammond - Linux

Thank you :-) So we, the computing service, seem to be reverting
back to the old problem of *not* providing students with IT
experience/capability which is relevant to the real world. Okay, so
the number of non-windows sites which the students (would) go to may
well be extremely small at the moment, but it will no doubt grow and
increase in its growth rate as time goes on (guessing, but I suspect
it will be so). I rest my case :-)

It is both humbling and informative to stand corrected, but I hardly
think that one example disproves the rule.

To clarify, I was not arguing in favour of the policy of
Windows-for-all but pointing out that the vast majority of employers
recruiting for non-IT (and, indeed, many IT) positions want someone
who knows all the shortcuts on MS Office 97 / Windows NT and couldn't
give a monkeys whether you are familiar with GNU fileutils, the Korn
shell, or whatever.

True, there are exceptions, but the *exceptional* students that would
fill these positions are probably interested enough to educate
themselves and seek out the resources they need to do so.  To
illustrate this point: I have personally done two University courses
(not here), one of which had significant computing content, the other
of which was entirely computing in its content.  Over the several
years I spent doing these on not one occasion did any tutor, lecturer
or fellow student approach me with, ``here you go Matt, this is
Linux, this is - display your directory contents with ll''.

This discussion is being held, whether you like it or not, outside of
a real world scenario between people who have made particular efforts
to inform themselves in spite of what is touted around as the
received wisdom. It`s rather akin to someone on this ML talking to
your average web-designer and saying, ``well it looks pretty, mate,
but its not half way near valid'', and then registering the look on
their faces.