Re: [LUG] TeX

Nicholas John Murison wrote:

On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 21:35, George Duller wrote:
I use TEX on my machine under Mandrake 8.1 The package is tetex.
I was brought up on Plain TEX, but for non mathematical use LaTEX might be a
better bet.
I create a text file Joe.tex using emacs containing the LaTEX instructions. Then
latex Joe.tex
produces a file Joe.dvi which I can view and/or print using
xdvi Joe.dvi

What exactly is the difference between TeX and LaTeX?  I know LaTeX is
essentially TeX macros, but what would one use straight TeX for?

Regards,
--
Nicholas John Murison

                       Name: signature.asc
   signature.asc       Type: application/pgp-signature

You can do any type-setting job with TEX, but sometimes it gets a bit fiddly because
you have
to create your own macros. LaTEX provides those macros ready made. Under Mandrake
you also get
a package called  klyx which is a semi-wysiwyg LaTEX. This is well documented, but
although I
got some examples to work I felt happier with my familiar Plain TEX.