Re: [LUG] Fwd: Linux @ School - Are we serious?

Simon Waters wrote:

kevin bailey wrote:

active server directory depends on a DNS server for everything - dial on
demand is linked to the ISA proxy server which is linked to the firewall
software.  and they all rely on DNS server. - they are too
interconnected for their own good.

Nah - ADS provides services to the DNS, so it mustn't rely on it, although it can rely on it to propagate data to clients, but that is different from having ADS working between the AD servers.

Are you running a DNS server, with both forward and reverse zones
for the LAN? Otherwise dial on demand with just about any system
can end up chasing it's own tail.

i only set up the DNS using the wizard - i will be setting up DNS on my
linux server soon to be able to understand it better.  i must admit that
my understanding of DNS servers is weak.

The wizards are nice, but I wouldn't want anyone configuring a DNS I was responsible for without them knowing DNS well enough at the record level to do it the hardway.

To be honest if your using ADS for a large domain, you probably
want to use ADS integrated DNS for those domains. The trick is
to delegate a subdomain to contain all that nasty embrace and
extend junk Microsoft throws at you, and let them wallow in
their own "standards".

Then make the rest of your DNS static, simple, and robust.

appreciate the comments - if we are going an further with this thing then may be we'll be in touch for some help,

thanks again,

kev