Re: [LUG] Fwd: Linux @ School - Are we serious?

hi mike

i was being a bit tongue-in-cheek RE MS products but recent experience
has pushed me to it,

in work we bought new server and small business server 2000 for our own
use - the boss only really know MS whereas i did programming at college
and then mainly worked on DOS/UNIX/Progress for the next few years.

anyway - the SBS server,

wanted,

file serving,
print server,
proxy server,
shared internet access,
dial on demand dialling to the interweb,

What's the interweb?

VSS

What is VSS?

SQL server 2000
exchange server so we could send and receive emails from our work domain
tape backups,
RAID 1

now - we spent 2/3 weeks leading up to christmas trying to set it up -
we enrolled help from a very experienced MS engineer - and a cousin who
is fresh out of an MSCE 2000 course...

...and the results are...

file serving,
sort of works - but network drives are not recognised until i click on
them in explorer - so most automated processes fail.

What is the server running and what are the clients running?

2000 dosn't appear to like serving to 9X under some circumstances,
IME.

print server,
had to use

c:\net use LPT3

Never seen the net command used quite this way, also isn't
it usually in c:\windows or c:\winnt?

etc to get it to work - apparently HP have deliberately disabled the
networking part of the printer driver to 'encourge' sales of their
network printers - of course - if the driver was open source etc etc etc

You mean you can't simply connect the printer to the server
share it and put a URL of \\server\printer in the box?

What kind of printer is this?

proxy server,

worked for a bit then stopped after the third reinstall - anyway, does
not work with mozilla/opera (there is a bug at mozilla lodged concerning
the non-standard authentication) - and cos IE crashes my workstation web
browsing is not fun

Do you actually need authentication or simply restriction by source
IP address.

shared internet access -
er - the firewall client (what is that for?) seems to be stopping this,

dial on demand,

takes ages to fire up - and then can not be shutdown manually -
according to a KB article this is by design to not allow a user to shut
down the link if they were not the user who started the link - and if
the link was brought up by dial-on-demand etc etc etc

This is just silly...

VSS

working

SQL server 2000

working - (thank god - otherwise we wouldn't be)

exchange server

er... not likely mate - just never worked - kind of worked to send
emails to eachother - but gets confused because our domain logon names
are different from our email address names.  (maybe we should reprint
our business cards)

You could try changing your login names, except that this isn't
exactly easy under NT unless you have a very simple set of
permissions.

tape backups

boss is still banging at this - but usually mutters bad things about it
every morning,

RAID 1

one drive has gone down already - because i have lost faith i would bet
that its the OS and not the hardware.

If it's new hardware it could well be the hardware.
The drives arn't made by Conner are they?

oh - and the error logs fill up with incomprehensible errors about every
week or so.

i see the problem as this,

active server directory depends on a DNS server for everything - dial on
demand is linked to the ISA proxy server which is linked to the firewall
software.  and they all rely on DNS server. - they are too
interconnected for their own good.

Are you running a DNS server, with both forward and reverse zones
for the LAN? Otherwise dial on demand with just about any system
can end up chasing it's own tail.

and as for active directory services - it is such a confusing mish-mash
that it is extremely difficult to find what you want.

Active directory is LDAP, sort of..

also, we have to connect via a router to a network with UNIX/NT4/win2k
servers - networking changes under 2000 but some NETBIOS stuff has been
left in for backwards compatibility.  networking has been made too
confusing.

Win2k server quite often runs a whole bunch of services you don't
either need or want by default too...

compared to a bunch of daemons each of which is set up by a .conf file
in /etc well... to me, it doesn't.

......and our client's main servers with approx 11k of MS software on
them just crash/reboot every couple of weeks - we now have a whole
network of servers monitoring each other and sending out text messages
when they have crashed - (including for all the batch processing which
occurs during the night) so the managers can restart the processes from

Batch processing on NT???

home when they happen...fun and it doesn't make us look good.

How much is the hardware worth?

again - they've had some very expensive engineers checking it out - but
they still keep crashing.  i know the DB's are sometimes very large - up
to 12/14GB but this is supposed to be well within limits - and to be
honset, i think SQL server is a good product.

Are the machines dedicated to SQL or are they also doing other
things?