Re: [LUG] furthering the revolution: ECDL

Simon Waters wrote:

kevin bailey wrote:

we see postgres having a good future because it has had ACID compliance
built-in from the begining.

My understanding was that MySQL now provides sensible behaviour via an alternative table type, but I do wonder how many people understand the relevant differences in quality between apparently competing database products.

i'll have to check this out further but i believe MYSQL was file based initially - and has now had record locking and transactions added on - which doesn't feel too good.

postgres is probably better for DB's where the size is in the order of gigabytes - whereas MYSQL is suited to small jobs and being the DB behind small websites. if the web-site is running e-commerce though postgres would again be better,

i have to set up a postgres DB on a server soon and will be running some tests - i'll try to find time to set up MYSQL as well and run the same tests - i'll post any results/conclusions,

kev

When I did my review of Open Source databases PostgreSQL looked good, the joker in the pack was SAPDB. Although most people only ever implement SAP on Oracle, SAPDB looked promising.

I think Oracle's DB offering might implode by getting too big
and complex - but it is in my bad books today as an Oracle test
process died last night with ORA-07445 (Exception). Couldn't
decide if I was being slow and ignorant, till Oracle support
came back with....

"Umm it is either bug NNNNNN or we haven't seen it before. There
is a workaround to the bug NNNNNN, you disable a parameter
you've never heard off, which will reduce your resource
consumption and have no negative effect on performance in the
configuration you use Oracle in". I think we'll set that
parameter anyway then ;)