[LUG] Re: Open Source Day

Steve Marvell wrote:

I run the Devon and Cornwall Perl mongers, I might be tempted.

My wife has a course that day, but she might cancel. We might be
moving house around that time. It just might not be possible.

Well you could always find us another member to speak<hint>.

Perl world view - I assumed there was more to it that "why isn't
-w the default" ;)

Hey a Perl presenter has it easy as he can always drop excerts
of the wit and wisdom of Larry Wall in at suitable points, which
will impress, especially if he passes them off as his own. Did
Larry Open Source his wit and wisdom?

My meagre experiences with Perl have been good, I used CGI and
SMTP modules to write a bespoke Form2Mail app to replace
Microsoft's Frontpage extension, wrote a LDIF to Nokia 9110
address book converter, all of these had excellent packages I
just "used".

But a guide to roughly what is in CPAN, maybe illustrated with a
sample app, and how do I make sure I have dependencies....

It all looks like magic to outsiders - honest - even if it is
trivial to you mongers.

If anyone is doing a talk on what OSS is and what advantages you get,
I'll bung the an excert from a tener we did for ideas.

I was going to do some of that in the introduction....

More a myth buster.... Met an "IT Consultant" who seemed to
think support for Linux was an issue still - I asked "who got
sacked for buying IBM" ;)

Ideas welcome.

We have some other volunteers, but I don't have topics for them
yet.

Maybe they should talk about what they know, not what you want talks
to be done on :) There's nothting like some corporate asking a
question and you saying "I don't know" and looking a tit.

Let me phrase that as they agreed to talk, I just don't know
what it is about Open Source they are talking about, indeed some
of them may not know much about Open Source at all, some people
just like public speaking.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768