Re: [LUG] Cryptonomicon and 6 times overwriting

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Steve Marvell wrote:

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 07:19:46PM +0000, Adrian Midgley wrote:

A character in Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (excellent book
IMHO) erases some files by locating the area of disc where they
were, and then overwriting that area with zeroes 6 times.

What is an economical way to do that, please?

I could get my "I write operating systems, shells and file systems"
mate on it. He'd update the filesystem and kernel to allow for a new
system call to react to an extra flag to rm which would perform this
action.

Better to use a crypted file system and swap.

also you wouldn't really over-write with zero's you use random/noise
values, or at least alternating values.

There are apps that do heavy duty FS level cleaning - a quick hunt in
google or freshmeat should do the job.

A.

--
<A HREF = "http://termisoc.org/~betty";> Betty @ termisoc.org </A>
"As a youngster Fred fought sea battles on the village pond using a