Re: [LUG] Nokia, JRE and platform dependence

On Sunday 20 January 2002 4:42 pm, Neil Williams wrote:
Re: Nokia WAP toolkit being Win32 only despite being written in Java.

So what was the point of writing it in Java??!!

Having written a non-portable Java program... Our motivation was
to allow easier portability in the future, at the time Java's
printing facilities left us cold, so we cheated in the printing
class. Fitting alternative printing solutions will be easy when
the time comes.

Not sure about Nokia's motivation.

or ability:

http://www.anywhereyougo.com/ayg/ayg/wap/Article.po?type=WAP_Tutorial&page=9991

It can run on Linux - I'm just trying to avoid having to download the JRE
(15Mb) and I have only got download versions of recent distros!

But that's the real point about Nokia's Java toolkit - the
rest of the code is easily switched from C++ to Java because the syntax is
very similar. So they did the easy bit and got 'cold feet' when the Java
language insisted on a complete re-write of the GUI.

I'm not saying Nokia are bad for doing that - it's a classic example of the
failings of Java. Maybe things are better now, but forgive me if I stick to
C/C++.

Or maybe not, maybe it is a failing of Nokia after all. I'll let you know
just as soon as I get it running!!!

--

Neil Williams