Re: [LUG] Just Curious?

hi mathew,

i think my diald is not set up perfectly to be honest - the dial on demand seems to fire off too much on my setup as well. however, i don't really use dial-on-demand.

i mainly use the force-up option on the diald control panel (dialdcost). when i sit down at the PC i set the force-up option to 'on'. and when i've finished or the morning after a download i turn it off again. because i use a modem and have a 24hr dialup package this suits me best. diald is very configurable - the conf file is pretty intense!!! if you need any help with it maybe www.deja.com would help,

i work with MS networks and the amount of network traffic caused by windows machines is huge - they're constantly calling eachother, advertising services, calling elections etc!!!! maybe if you turned off NETBIOS and stuck to tcp only that would help,

kev

matthew.gibbons@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Kevin,

diald needs to be reconfigured because XP is quite promiscuous! Without hacking
the diald configuration, my ISP is being dialed as soon as it goes down. Auto
dialing from the XP does not do this, presumably because it is already
configured properly. I will need to sniff the packets to see what is going
across my network, as all I have turned on is TCP/IP. Can't think what XP is
doing, other than trying to find a way home...

Cheers,
Matthew

kevin bailey <kevin_bailey@xxxxxxxxxxx> on 19/01/2002 18:46:07

Please respond to list@xxxxxxxxxxxx