[LUG] modules getting slightly confused.

This problem is driving me insane any help would be appreciated!

Senario is as follows:

Suse 7.3 update 2.4.10-4GB to 2.4.16-4GB
Got new kernel source from Suse ftp site

Make Xconfig ( paying very careful attention to make sure config is like previous working kernel)

make dep
make clean
make bzImage

make modules
make bzlilo (this does cp /boot/vmlinuz /bootvmlinuz.old
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz
lilo )
make modules_install

check lib/modules and new ver directory is there.

reboot

new kernel starts and hangs because it cant find any modules even though the bloody things are there!

Ok so modprobe -c shows default paths and new kernel path is not there so ive tried renaming it symlinks to it even putting individual drivers where its suposed to look,all to no avail.

looked at pages about lilo,initrd,kerneld, rc.config ,conf.modules, module.conf

im so confused my head starts to hurt what the hell am i doing wrong! where the hell is modprobe finding these paths from and why if i rename the new modules to fit these paths do they still refuse to be loaded.

Arrrgggg