Re: [LUG] Wanting to really put an effort to learn Linux properl

John Horne wrote:

On 08-Jan-2002 at 10:57:53 Steve Marvell wrote:

I'll stand up and say "Redhat for newbies, Debian for pros".

In what way for pros rather than redhat, mandrake, etc?

debian for pros because debian is better for long term use - after a year or so the RPM system gets its dependencies mixed up to the extent that installing/upgrading software is extremely difficult.

kev

Am I right in thinking that Mandrake is an optimised Redhat?

I would not have said 'optimised'. As far as I remember Mandrake was created
basically as redhat linux with the KDE X window system as the default
user interface. It also had a simpler installation procedure. In that
respect it was easier for users/newbies to install and go...:-)

John.