Re: [LUG] Tuesday teaser: httpd

Hi,

Just a thought and from personal experience..

Looking at the simple things first.  Sounds like you have upluaded the script
to a server.

Did you upload it as ascii or a binary transfer? (Binary ftp will mangle a
cgi scrip - needs to be set specifically to ascii).  I nearly always have to
reload my cgi scripts because I did not check the ascii transfer box!

Hope this helps!

Mark Harvey

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 04:49, you wrote:
> Hello.  Anyone got any thoughts on this?
>

> I am trying to *test* two CGIs (Perl) that I know to be okay on my
> home box.
>
> My attention to detail when installing and setting up Apache has been
> religious; I have read the HOWTOs, www.apache.org and I have Running
> Linux here as a textbook ref.
>
> httpd.conf had the cgi-bin scriptalias location as /var/www/cgi-bin
> so I thought I wouldn't change that.
>
> Now, let's consider the simplest script imaginable, such as:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> echo "Content-type: text/html"
> echo
> echo "<html>"
> echo "hello world"
> echo "</html>
> #ends
>
> Does anyone have any anecdotal suggestions, perhaps based upon
> experience, as to why that won't print 'hello world' in my browser?
>
> Here's the stuff I have already thought of:
>
> - Permissions.  Recklessly granted to anything even faintly related.
> - Is httpd actually running?  Yes.
> - Is the code okay?  Yes.
> - File extensions?  Tried 'em all.
> - Is the bit about listening to 127.0.0.1 commented out in .conf? No.
> - Generally, is httpd.conf okay?  As far as I know.
> - Is Apache finding the .conf file?  Yes - I am specifying it at CL
>

> I reckon I'm missing something here - any thoughts?
>
> Just to clarify again:  I am not trying to serve a web page here
> (well, I am, but only to myself), this is a testing exercise.
> MB.
>
> --

For information on Newquay and the surrounding area:
http://www.Newquay-Plus.co.uk