[LUG] Red Hat 7.2

I've just installed RedHat 7.2 on the test laptop (about the write a review
with full details), but I just want to check a few things before I write the
review.

(Hardware details are the same as the Mandrake on a laptop reviews on the
DCLUG site)

The RedHat firewall uses ipchains (I get an insmod error when I try iptables)
but this confused me as Mandrake 8.1 uses a similar kernel but has changed to
iptables:
Linux version 2.4.8-26 (Mandrake)
Linux version 2.4.7-10 (RedHat)
Is this right?

Also, the windows partition didn't appear to be setup by default, I had to
edit /etc/fstab manually to enter:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat
at the end. (After creating the directory /mnt/windows )
Is this expected?

I hadn't got the sound-card working under Mandrake, but one of the pieces of
help I was offered was to use modprobe trident. After using this with RedHat,
I was suddenly able to play mp3 files straight through Gnome. Quality isn't
superb (but then, is any laptop?) but as good as under Windows. Volume
controls are still in need of some mastering - the Fn-F5 buttons do still
work, but CD's tend to play very quietly compared to MP3. (I couldn't hear
anything from the first CD I tried!)
(Function-F5 is increase volume, Fn-F6, decrease - these appear to be OS
independent. I can decrease the volume (to completely silent) using Fn-F6 -
even with Audio Mixer set to 100% - but Fn-F5 even at maximum is still quiet.)

I've tried Audio Mixer and set master volume and CD volume to maximum, but
it's still quiet compared to wave and MP3 output.

Is there something I'm missing? With mp3 files, the max. volume output
appears at least three times louder than the max. CD output. It almost sounds
muffled, as if there's something blocking the speakers.

--

Neil Williams