[LUG] nethack

I am using Suse 7.3 and I am trying to install nethack-falcons eye under
linux from the october issue of Linux format.  I get some errors relating to
the sdl libraies,  I tried to install a recent version (downloaded from the
sdl web site) but get the following error when installing.

package SDL-1.2.2-50 (which is newer than SDL-1.2.2-1) is already installed
file /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0.0.2 from install of SDL-1.2.2-1 conflicts with
file from package SDL-1.2.2-50

I have an idea what this means,  do I need to hack nethack source code so it
points to the later libraies,  as I think it looks for an older version. I
don't think I can have an older version at the same time, unless I set up a
sym link with the name of the older library so it points to the newer,
however this seems a bit above my league.

Thanks

 Paul