Re: [LUG] groupware

Adrian Midgley wrote:

> Small company, Internet startup, dispersed but technically Ok albeit mostly
> with Windows.
>
> What does the panel think a groupware solution might be based on?

Depends what you are trying to achieve.

Having used Lotus Notes in  Windows only and cross platform
environments, I would say it can do most things people want from
groupware, but it wasn't simple or easy to use (This was at a
computer support and consultancy company, and at a group of
extremely able engineers - so the average user was probably more
technically competent than the average Internet startup staff -
mechnical engineers are usually computer gurus, I suspect
computing is more interesting than mechanical engineering ;).

Good Notes administration makes rocket science look like the
simple application of conservation of momemtum. Mostly
administration was nightmarish as the product had grown over
time, and some times a simple change required pushing related
information into zillions of different places - and why the
security might satisfy the CIA finding an administrator who
actually understands it to that level is next to impossible....

>From a technical perspective I was amused by the way Lotus Notes
used time stamp for replication activity without checking if the
two machines even agreed on the decade (Although recovering my
work when this happened was not so amusing).

A good yard stick to measure your choice by though, but I
wouldn't recommend it unless it has must have features.
Replication is less important these days, when not having an
Internet connection is considered so unfashionable. Replication
was the USP - and I'm assured Exchange never caught up.

> In another context the Devon local medical committees are looking at Wiki,
> having used FirstClass, then CIX conferencing with Ameol, and I'm much
> impressed but think it is more use for preparing handbook sort of documents,
> and for collaborative authoring, than for the sort of thing Outlook/Exchange
> Server is aimed at.

Which bits of Outlook/Exchange?

News (NNTP) servers are quite good for conference/discussion
work and allows correspondents to pick their own favourite
newsreader. It helps if people understand proper Usenet style
etiquette - some news readers do not encourage good netiquette.
The expiry of news articles isn't necessary if you have the disk
space.

IMAP4 servers allow simple folder sharing of e-mail - I use the
Washington Uni one, although I'm assured that the other free one
scales better. One or two common mail programs don't implement
IMAP4 well, but you can use Netscape Communicator on all
platforms as a minimum free client, you can even fairly safely
wait till said mail programs fail before switching to a.n.other.

Calendar sharing software should be the easiest stuff in the
world to write, but I've not used a good cross platform tool,
never been asked to find one. Although I have seen some fairly
decent web based tools for this sort of thing, having a little
applet locally to remind you when to do things is vital. iCAL is
the standard to watch according to the mental notes I made.

Groupware, like Remote User VPN technologies, are underused
technologies.

I think M$ NetMeeting is great, and I'm amazed Microsoft never
charged for it. Is there some really good free product they were
trying to eliminate from the market that I missed, or did Bill
make a mistake?

 Simon

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768