Re: [LUG] lpd dies

On Monday 03 December 2001 15:38, you wrote:
> Adrian Midgley wrote:
> > > Urm what process is already bound to the TCP port....
> > >
> > > "netstat -ap | grep printer" or similar.
> >
> > tcp        0      0 *:printer               *:*
> > LISTEN 279/lpd
> > unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     1026   279/lpd
> > /var/run/printer
>
> Was this before you started lpd as this implies it is already
> running....
>
> I'm sure it is a simple problem.

It has to be, but I've recreated it unwittingly twice.
If ther eis a previous instance running, then it does not appear to respond
to a queue coming into existence.
However, instantiating lpd again is followed by it printing...
weirdness alert!  It works now.  Just realised I'd printed a page from
soffice without mucking about.

> Last time I did this CUPS was just taking over the world.
CUPS is in there somewhere.  maybe I should learn about it.

I have a HP4l and also a Samsung laser which interestingly comes with WIndows
and Linux drivers, but no DOS capability.  So it is a Lindows printer.
Finding cheap consumer stuff like that is heartening.  Unlike Gates' offers
to the Gov/NHS.

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.swis.net/midgley/