Re: [LUG] lpd dies

Adrian Midgley wrote:

> > Urm what process is already bound to the TCP port....
> >
> > "netstat -ap | grep printer" or similar.
>
> tcp        0      0 *:printer               *:*                     LISTEN
>   279/lpd
> unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     1026   279/lpd
> /var/run/printer

Was this before you started lpd as this implies it is already
running....

I'm sure it is a simple problem.

> > I don't run lpd on many boxes too many security issues with this
> > software.....
>
> Gotta print stuff somehow...

Very rarely - am I allowed to admit to having a Windows only
Printer - HP won't release the specifications (They can be real
bastards about this), since I mainly use it to receive faxes or
let Faye print invoices from her Windows box it isn't a problem.
I keep meaning to get the JetDirect card that will network it,
and then decide it isn't worth it.

So not exactly paperless but I was using it to print about once
a month, now Faye is working here I can just save a Star office
document and get her to print it from Windows, via Samba....

Last time I did this CUPS was just taking over the world.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768