[LUG] cd rewriters

Hi

Following on from recent messages regarding cd writing,  I have just got
mine working,

I looked at my /etc/lilo.conf file and found there was already a references
to ide-scsi but nothing was working.

Solution

At root prompt

type dmesg and you get the output from the kernel booting messages,  Dump
this to a text file using
dmesg > dmesg

then using a text editor (I used advanced editor) view and print this out,
now look for messages relating to your cdrw device,  (note this print out is
useful for other things so it's worth keeping).

In mycase I had a reference to hdd - cdrw
and scsi0 sr0

sr0 is the device name

Place a blank cd in the drive  (this really helps )
you can now mount this,  under suse 7.3 I used

mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdrecorder

to test I copied my suse 7.3 cd 1.

place a cd in your normal cdrom drive and mount it

e.g

mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom

I tried this with a cover cd,  but it seemed dodgy,  the 7.3 cd seemed to
work.

My system is as follows

Primary master is a 10.2 gb udma 66 harddisk
secondary master is my cdrom drive
secondary slave is my cd rw drive

back to xwindows and use koncd to test,  I had to uncheck burn proof,  and
just selected cd copy.

you will need to check the settings,  i.e the first box in my case is cdrom
and the second is cdrw,  anyway the dialogs are pretty self explanatory
under setup.

Hit go, if everything is ok it should copy,

Notes and further reading

Suse 7.3 has scsi-ide emulation built in so no need to recompile kernel.

Koncd has a number of useful documents

the file /usr/share/doc/packages/cdrecord

README-ATAPI -
this tells you how to recompile your kernel,  by saving the current
configuration and loading into your make xconfig (or whatever) script.

it also suggests that you should have your writer as master, however mine is
not and it still seems to work,

All this works as root,  I think that the solution to getting it to work
under other users, is to add read, write permissions to /dev/sr0, or
something, or perhaps the directory /dev/cdrecord,  not sure, however it
works.  I think it needs the same permissions as in my resolv.conf solution.

However do I need to do this for

just /dev/sr0 or /media/cdrecorder or both?

Hope all this helps.

Paul