[LUG] NTFS permision problems

Hi all
      I'm having some problems with an NTFS partition, it
wont let me have write permissions on it, even as root. I
have tried altering the /etc/fstab in every way I know how,
I have set a 000 umask, set defaults, set RW, done everyway
I know to get write on the partion but it will not appear.
The closest I can get is dr-xr-xr-x (umask=000, this
should take 000 away from 777, leaving 777 but it
obviously does not ??) but no writes for anyone, does
anyone have any ideas ???

Also I have just got a DVD RAM ( :) ) and it works fine and
dandy under Linux, but I also have a cd writer and I have
only one of them (the DVD RAM) being masqueraded as SCSI
(/dev/scd0), thus only being able to burn with one of them.
How can I put the cd burner in as /dev/scd1  ?? at the
moment it is /dev/hdd.

Cheers in advance