Re: [LUG] hi there!!!

On 08-Nov-2001 at 23:10:49 Simon Waters wrote:
> SQUID I assume also uses the anonymous port range when passing on
> requests.

I'd say yes and no :-) Squid will use port 3128 (by default) for the http
port, but use port 3130 for the ICP stuff with its parents/siblings. When
going direct it will use port 80 to access the relevant web servers. The
first 2 port numbers are configurable so you'll need to check your
squid.conf file.

With respect to ipchains if you allow access to/from your relevant caches
via 3130, allow your clients access to port 3128, and allow your squid
server access out to port 80 on any destination then it may well work :-)
Needless to say if you are simply running the cache on your home PC whilst
accessing the Internet then you won't have any parents/siblings, and the
source address will be your IP address from the ISP (I assume) -
interesting, since that will be dynamic. The other thing, just though of, is
that ipchains kicks in at boot time but you (probably) don't connect to the
ISP until after then (when logged in). As such you won't even be able to
fiddle ipchains to try and determine your IP address when starting. You may
need to connect to the ISP, get the IP address, put that into ipchains and
then restart it. Messy, probably automatable, but again it may well work :-)

As always, and especially on Friday's, I could be wrong! :-)

John.