Re: [LUG] Cable to cable connection

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 08:35:26PM +0000, Trevor Sansom wrote:
> I'm looking for a Linux programme roughly equivalent
> to the Windows 9x Cable to cable connection. The
> solution of using SLIP, CSLIP, PLIP or PPP is the most
> obvious but so far I have been unable to unravell any
> of them & get bogged down with IP adresses etc. A full
> blown network connection is not required, simply a
> means of transfering files from laptop to desktop
> machines.
>
> Can anyone recommend anything suitable?

Assuming you have pppd installed on both machines you should be able to
connect them by over a serial cable between COM2 on each machine by
entering :

pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 asyncmap 0 noauth persist local passive 192.168.0.1:192.168.0.2

on the first machine, and likewise on the second except that you reverse the
IP addresses ie

... 192.168.0.2:192.168.0.1

You should then be able to ping one machine from the other. I'm not sure
how much of the above rigmarole is strictly necessary, if your system
complains about something omit the command in question and it may then
work.

You should then be able to telnet one machine from the other and so on.
To transfer files you'll probably need to set the directory up as available
for nfs and mount it on the client etc etc. Once the link is up everything
works the same as over an ethernet link.

Keith