[LUG] Mandrake 8.1 first impression.

Just got this installed yesterday. The graphicall installer seems to be even
slicker but somehow the handholding makes me feel even less in control than
before. Lots of different filesystems to choose from including ext3. I didn't
choose this and after reading about RH 7.2 and kernel support I'm glad I
didn't for the moment.

I've used Mandrake since 7.0 & went to suse 7.1 breifly (having gone halves
with a mate on the price) but none of the latest distros support my graphics
card ATI Rage Fury Pro in accelerated form, and I do love a little blast fest
every now & then. XFree 4.01 is fine but 4.03 and 4.1 have had support taken
AWAY !

Have downloaded commercial opengl xserver from Xi Graphics but have to find
someone with a card so I can purchase a key to unlock it as it times out
after 10 minutes.

Just using man 8.1 in 2D at the moment though & it luvely.

Not to happy aobut clicking on the licence acceptence for CD 3 with the extra
stuff on it but then I never read that stuff on windows programs anyway.

They all basically say if you've read this far then might as well carry on

Still playing. some quirks.  Midi files in the kde midi player don't play all
the instuments properly but using the midi/karaoke player for kde they do !

Kpresenter has an option to import powerpoint presentations but just import a
load of empty blank slides !

JPilot for my pda is not taking over as my app of choice for syncing my
hanspring visor. No more windows for that !

Just got to get me scanner working now !

Ray