Re: [LUG] ISPs

> At 50p a minute technical support, perhaps they were sustained
> by gullible users, and Mirror readers.

Well good point, as I never use the helplines I never checked the cost.

> All the totally free ISPs went, or never started, as in the case
> of Altavista's ISP service, AFAIK. Running a large ISP business
> need not be expensive, but no one really succeeded (yet!) with
> the advertising based model for ISP's.

True, the no longer offer the service but it was useful while it was running.
There were no costs, no adverts etc.

Problems came when the line was always engaged, however - it only took a few
minutes to get a line.  Later they dropped the speed of the connection to 9.6k :
( but it did mean less people used it... easier to get through.

   Pool School & Community College ICT Department

The school does not accept responsibility for the
content of messages sent from this system.  Misuse
of the service should be reported to...
         postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

         http://www.pool.cornwall.sch.uk