Re: [LUG] ISPs

Paul Weaver wrote:

> >urm, well I know it's not running atm but what about services like when ic24
> >offered an 0800 number????
> >
> Presumably they were funded from a monthly fee (like net in a nushell && AOL),
> or by dumb venture capitalists and had no sustainable income.

At 50p a minute technical support, perhaps they were sustained
by gullible users, and Mirror readers.

All the totally free ISPs went, or never started, as in the case
of Altavista's ISP service, AFAIK. Running a large ISP business
need not be expensive, but no one really succeeded (yet!) with
the advertising based model for ISP's.