Re: [LUG] fileserving..

Howard Coakley wrote:

> Doesn't matter to them. Why should they care?

Precisely because the concepts will probably be valid, but
anything they learn about Microsoft (or Linux) these days will
almost certainly be long dead. Just think back to what you used
at school - see any evidence that progress is slowing?

Whether they learn Linux, or Microsoft, or GCOS, doesn't matter,
exposure to more than one OS clarifies the computing experience,
broadens the mind. My mobile phone has a concept of "file", it
isn't quite like Microsoft's, or Linux's, but I'm wasn't
surprised by that. My Digital camera also understands a file....

I wouldn't install Linux on all of the PC's I'd let the kids
chose, butleave one to install anything they want to try.

> Personally, I hope Linux becomes a viable alternative to M$, but although I
> hate the idea, Microsoft does a great job for most adults and almost ALL
> kids.

Damn tricky to get e-mail quoting right in Microsoft mail
clients in my experience *8-)

Linux is already a viable alternative for almost everything
Windows does, and does a lot of stuff no Microsoft OS is suited
to. What makes you think otherwise?