RE: [LUG] fileserving..

> > I am intending to use SUSE to act a a fileserver for a home network of 4
> > Win98 boxes.
>
> Why not just convert the whole lot to linux ????
>
> Cos the kids learn Microsoft at school and turning them into into Linux
> advocates at their age is not likely to help them with their education.

Maybe, although there is nothing like another example of
something to help you sort out the essential ideas from the
fluff.

They might grow up thinking computers always had GUI's, that
folders look like strange things you find in archaic filing
cabinets, that all software is a blackbox that does something
mysterious with faults you can't fix or get fixed....

Doesn't matter to them. Why should they care?

Try explaining that not so long ago most people didn't use
computers in there day to day life - you do remember it don't
you?

Ohhh yes  ;-)

<snip>

I'm assuming of course you remember such a time, I'm a bit
young, although not many people used them during the 3 day week,
and I remember the power cuts just.

Assumption OK. Probably about the same age, and, as I am almost halfway
through my working life, I am in university for the first time to do a
degree and become a schoolteacher! My thoughts about kids IT needs are a
long way from thoughts of an urgency to understand a foreign OS which is
irrelevant to them academically for at least 5 more years - if ever!

I try not to bring 'too' many of my own prejudices into their lives, plenty
of time for them to do that to themselves later. ATM, neither want a career
in IT, they want to use a computer for manipulating pictures, play games,
send e-mail, make webpages, do homework. It all fits in with their peer
groups knowledge, so no need to expand or complicate or prejudice them dont
you think?

Personally, I hope Linux becomes a viable alternative to M$, but although I
hate the idea, Microsoft does a great job for most adults and almost ALL
kids.

Interesting stuff here, thanks.

H.