RE: [LUG] internet crash kppp - internet dialer

> > Hi

Mornin'

> > When I try and access the internet with internet dialer on kde
> with RHL 7.1.
> >
> > 1,  Why do I need to enter a root password in order to run kppp
> with root
> > priviledges.  Does this cause any security problems,

On my box i have to set pppd to SUID (chmod 7755 /sbin/pppd) for this to
work

> > 2. I do this,  press connect on the dial up box, it then dials but then
> > crashes, the box with my isp and username,  along with
> >
> > connect,  setup etc buttons is all greyed out,  and it just
> sits there, I
> > know it's crashed.   because the buttons are not there,  the
> text boxes are
> > just blank.
> >
> > What has happened? or why has this happened,  thankfully I can use good
ok
> > alt-F2 and xkill to get me out of this,  (much better than the windows
> > method).

Why ? i wonder what windows does ?? oh yeah, what happens when you throw
hard things at windows people ??

> > Getting internet working brings me one step closer to dumping windows

Getting AOL for linux will make me happy, then printer and webcam !!

> > thanks for any help.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > PS regarding the MS / DOJ e-mail address thanks I know a few
> people who may
> > be interested,
>
> I have to do that too Neil helped me work it out and you do have
> to be part of a group although I cant remeber either.  Not a lot of help
to you really,
> Sorry.
> JM

Thats ok mate, i'll let you off this time... next time however.....

Paul: are you a member of the "users" group in linux, if you are not, things
will go pear shaped very quickly, i know redhat is a bugger for not doing
this properly. You will need to log in as root to gain access to the user
control panel thing (i forget where it is now DURRRRHHH !!!) ensure that you
(as a user of paul) are a member of the users group. log out and back in as
you, and that may help things !!!!

Let me know how it went !!!

Neil