Re: [LUG] First Post

> > About 4 years ago I realised that Windows wasn't all it was cracked up
> > to be, and that I didn't have to be like everyone else. In my search for
> > something different I came across an operating system called Linux,
> > something I could play with to my heart's content and even re-write
> > parts of if I wanted. I have been using it ever since.
> > Craig

> It took you 4 years to find out that windows sux ???????????? where have
> you been, just kidding mate, welcome to the group hopefully we can all gain
> from your knowledge and you from ours (well, not much from mine, I just
> make silly comments every now and again)
>
> Neil Stone

Wasn't that 4 years ago that Craig changed to Linux, Neil, rather than after
4 years of using Windoze?

Using Windoze for 4 years before getting into Linux is better than me - I've
used Windows since Windows 3.0 - I bought my first PC running Windows 3.1 in
1990 and started programming in C++ a year later. I still use Windows95 at
work.

So that's ELEVEN years using Windows before moving to Linux. Mind you, I
realised Windows was flaky within about two years (I had to buy Quarterdeck
memory manager to get Borland C++ v3 to run on Windows 3.1), severely
unstable within about 3 years (bought Norton Disk Doctor and Anti-Virus as
well as my first modem), and realised that Windows was leaking resources like
a sieve when I started dealing with assembly code on windows! I decided to
ditch Windows when I started playing with GEM which was kidnapped into
Windows 2. (There never was a Windows 1 on release!) But it was SIX years
before I had got around to actually installing Linux (Mandrake 7.0).

BTW, Neil - Thanks for adding your site to the DCLUG Member's Pages, but all
I get is a blank screen in Netscape6 and Konqueror2 on Linux. I've just tried
using IE5.5 (WindowsME) on the laptop and there was a black bar that appeared
and disappeared with the cursor, but it doesn't appear in Netscape.

And while I'm about it, did you receive your password Craig - and can you log
in OK? If yes, where are those reviews you promised me!!!
:-))

I'm nearing completion of the Members Register - a list of those LUG members
who choose to enter some biographical details about themselves and I'll let
everyone know when it's uploaded. I'm currently including details as follows
Name (taken from the log in box, so no-one can alter anyone else's details,
except me or Alex)
(all the fields below are optional):
email address,
your location,
your picture! (submit the jpeg by email to me, it can't be uploaded straight
to the site - no larger than 5kb, about 120x150 pixels.)
list of the Linux distributions used in the past
favourite Linux distro, or if you really can't choose, the Linux distro that
you use most often.
free text notes, as many as you like, about you, your background, computing
experience, what you want from Linux, from the LUG, the list and the site,
bits about your pets, home, other-half, hobbies, general 'life outside Linux'
info, you know the idea.

That'll bring four functions within the members area - online creation of
distribution reviews, addition of your webpage to the public members pages
list, creating / updating of your own details in the register and finding out
about other LUG members from their entries in the register.

So if you want to be part of it, get your password from me!

--

Neil Williams