[LUG] Frame buffer device,configuration!

I have a errant Kyro2 gfx card, from what i have found you can get fairly decent
graphics out of it by using the xf86-FBdev

have just installed RH 7.2roswell
and lo and behold a lovely graphical installer presents itself.

however on reboot it dies and drops to runlevel 3

have tried Xconfigurator and xf86config but the FBdev is not listed as a server?(should it be)
however the file does exist along with the vga generic server(which incidentally fails)

Now my mandrake8.0 install managed to correctly configure the frame buffer device and i had 800x600 in 16bits

question is ...

How the heck do i configure RH to use this device.....
Or could i copy the mandrake XF86config file (bearing in mind monitor,mouse,gfx are the same) into the RH system as a quickfix solution or would that just plain not work!

Please don't ask why i punish myself by constantly changing distro's and hardware
im a bit of an upgrade junkie ..... oh look linux emporium have mandrake 8.1RC1 droool... so many shiny things so little time :)

Lynx friendly