[LUG] Fw: VMware Newsletter - September 2001 Issue XV

-----Original Message-----
From: VMware <vmwarenews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: drward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <drward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 04/09/01 20:59
Subject: VMware Newsletter - September 2001 Issue XV

VMWARE NEWSLETTER
SEPTEMBER 2001
ISSUE XV

Welcome to the September issue of the VMware Newsletter. Today
VMware is pleased to announce the beta of the latest version of our
award-winning desktop product. Among its many new bells and
whistles, VMware(TM) Workstation 3.0 features enhanced networking
capabilities, which we've detailed in this month's Tech Tip. And
even though VMware server software continues to get rave reviews in
the press, we've found a way to improve upon the Linux version of
VMware GSX Server(TM).

-------- IN THIS ISSUE -----------------------------------------

-- We Have Lift-Off: VMware Launches Beta of VMware Workstation 3.0
-- Bigger and Better: VMware GSX Server 1.0.2 Improves Host Memory
   and Linux Support
-- VMware + esävio = Maximum Server Utilization and Huge
   Cost Savings
-- VMware Steps Up Customer Support with TSANet Membership
-- Tech Tip of the Month: VMware Workstation 3.0 Networking
-- In the News: VMware Continues to Capture Headlines
-- September Events

WE HAVE LIFT-OFF: VMWARE LAUNCHES BETA OF VMWARE WORKSTATION 3.0
A beta version of VMware Workstation 3.0, the latest version of our
award-winning desktop product, is now available! Workstation 3.0
features full support for Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP host and guest
OSes, as well as support for other recent OS releases. Workstation
3.0 also significantly improves interactive performance. New
devices supported include USB devices, SCSI generic devices (no
drivers needed in the host OS), and ISO CD-ROM image support.
Networking capabilities are significantly expanded and now include
NAT (Network Address Translation) to allow guest OSes to share the
host's IP address. On Windows hosts, Workstation 3.0 includes a
completely new and more powerful Windows-style user interface. A
later beta release of Workstation 3.0 will add support for DVD-ROM
and CD-R/RW devices for both Windows and Linux operating systems.
Pricing and upgrade information will be available soon, and the
product will be available in Q4.

The beta version of VMware Workstation 3.0 is available starting
today, September 4, 2001, at:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090856X76193X

Read more about the beta release's new features at:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090857X76193X

Read more about VMware's launch of Workstation 3.0 at:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090858X76193X

-------------------------------------

BIGGER AND BETTER: VMWARE GSX SERVER 1.0.2 IMPROVES HOST MEMORY AND
LINUX SUPPORT
A maintenance release of VMware GSX Server delivers Linux support
improvements and expanded capabilities. GSX Server now supports
Linux 2.4 kernel hosts with up to 4GB memory and Linux 2.4 kernel
guest operating systems. For more information on the maintenance
release and product specifications, go to:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090859X76193X

To buy VMware GSX Server, visit our Web store at:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090860X76193X

-------------------------------------

VMWARE + ESÄVIO = MAXIMUM SERVER UTILIZATION AND HUGE COST SAVINGS
VMware and esävio have teamed up to provide server consolidation
solutions that will result in big cost savings for esävio's
mid-market and enterprise customers. Many of these companies are
looking for ways to better consolidate and manage their hardware
resources since, according to Jeff Jamieson, esävio VP of Sales and
Marketing, "...companies pay a great deal of money for hardware,
and end up using only 10% of the asset." VMware server software
provides esävio's clients with access to the remaining 90% of
server hardware. Read more at:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090861X76193X

Or read more in VARBusiness: "VMware, Esavio Shoot for Speedy
Server Consolidation". Go to:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090862X76193X

-------------------------------------

VMWARE STEPS UP CUSTOMER SUPPORT WITH TSANET MEMBERSHIP
VMware recently joined the Technical Support Alliance Network
(TSANet), the largest vendor-neutral support alliance of
world-class computer product providers. TSANet provides a framework
for vendors with mutual customers to resolve interoperability
issues. With TSANet, VMware customers will benefit from a
multi-vendor forum that includes more than 100 companies, including
Compaq, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Microsoft, and Novell. Read more
about our membership at:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090863X76193X

-------------------------------------

TECH TIP OF THE MONTH:
VMWARE WORKSTATION 3.0 NETWORKING
Our users and staff often discover hints and shortcuts that can
help you get the most from VMware products. This month, our tech
tip features some of the networking improvements found in VMware
Workstation 3.0 now in beta. Workstation 3.0, includes NAT support.
NAT enables guest operating systems to share the host operating
system IP address(es). On Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP
hosts, Workstation 3.0 makes it much easier to work with PCs with
multiple physical NICs and to work with laptops and docking
stations. Read more about these features and see how virtual
networking works in Workstation 3.0 at:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090864X76193X

-------------------------------------

IN THE NEWS:
VMWARE CONTINUES TO CAPTURE HEADLINES
In Computerworld: "Virtual Software Saves Real Money at Merrill
Lynch". Go to:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090865X76193X

In InfoWorld: "Turn One PC Into Many". Go to:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090866X76193X

In NetworkWorld: "Virtual Machines Made Easier". Go to:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090867X76193X

In Technology Marketing: "Software: Multiple Servers in a Single
Box". Go to:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090868X76193X

On the O'Reilly Network: "Consolidating Servers Under Linux".
Go to:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090869X76193X

In Computer Reseller News: "GSX Server Protects Apps, Oses". Go to:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090870X76193X

-------------------------------------

SEPTEMBER EVENTS
Microsoft Trainer Readiness Event 2001 at the Rosen Centre Hotel in
Orlando, Florida, September 29-30a

To stay updated on where we'll be next, visit our Events page at:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090871X76193X

-------------------------------------

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT VMWARE, check out the pages at:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090871X76193X(English)
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090873X76193X(German)
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090874X76193X(Japanese)

TO UPDATE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS OR USER PROFILE, visit the page at:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090875X76193X

FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANCE, go to:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4313479798X1090876X76193X

TO UNSUBSCRIBE from this newsletter, go to:
http://vmware1.m0.net/m/u/vmw/v.asp?e=drward%40atkey-goodman.co.uk

QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS? Contact vmwareservice@xxxxxxxxxx

This newsletter may link to Internet sites that are owned and
operated by third parties. Our company is not responsible for the
content of these third-party sites.

(c)2001 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved. VMware, the VMware boxes
logo, MultipleWorlds, GSX Server, and ESX Server are trademarks of
VMware, Inc. Microsoft, Windows, and Windows NT are registered
trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Linux is a registered
trademark of Linus Torvalds. All other marks and names mentioned
herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.

This message is sent via Digital Impact, Inc. for VMware, Inc.

* This e-mail was sent using
* OfficeTalk - the essential workgroup organiser
* Download it now from http://www.sareen.com/default.asp?ID=44-22551&N=Atkey+Goodman&S=2