Re: [LUG] RE: linux newbie

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Roland Tarver wrote:

> So far I've heard good
> things about Red Hat, SuSE , Caldera, Mandrake (and to a lesser extent
> Debian).

if it helps, here's my general opinion of the main distros:

Red Hat and Mandrake:
By far the most polished distros.  If I was introducing someone to linux,
I'd give them one of these.  Mandrake looks good but redhat is more
widespread.  I use redhat quite a lot.

Caldera:
No idea.  Never used it.

SuSE:
Large. 6 cds and/or 1 dvd last time I looked.  Is pretty good too, but a
little less friendly than Red Hat and Mandrake.

Debian:
I am becoming a real fan of debian recently, but I would definatley not
give it to a new linux user.  It's got some superb features and can be
made very small more easily than the above.  I find it a lot more similar
to real Unixes than the others.  This suits me fine however, as I work on
Solaris by day.

Slackware:
not used it in such a long time it's not fair to comment on it.  It's
generally been of a more technical ilk.  Zipslack is probabbly based on
it.

Alex.