Re: [LUG] Is it possible....?

> Hello!
>
>  I am using a really old Pc with a 170mb (c:) and a 1.1gb(d:) hard disk.
>
> drive D: (the 1.1gb disk) is currently the MS windows 95 bootable drive.
>
> Drive C: is full of clutter and stuff I could probably bin.
>
> I really want to get into linux and so was wondering if I could format drive
> c: and install a version of linux (ie, having a duel boot system that would
> allow me to try linux). I've read that I need 300mb to install linux! So I
> am wondering if there is a smaller version that I could install that takes
> less than (170 megs)????
>
> If there is:-
> 1.Where do I get it?
> 2. And how much will it cost?
>
> Best wishes thanks a lot.
> roland tarver - north devon

1) yes it is possible, serves can cope with it easily. However dont expect to have much on there. You might be able to fit X (the linux GUI system) in a space tat small, but not a lot more.

I've never installed a system on less then 15MB, but I have on arround 20MB. It wont do much.

There is zipslack or somehing, but this is a pretty advanced distrobution, its not newbie friendly. Dont expect to be able to install suse,  redhat etc. in that small a space.

As for cost? Same as any other linux distrobution, free from the net, or a few quid from sites like linuxemporium.co.uk

--
Paul Weaver
p.j.weaver@xxxxxxxx

"The best way to accelerate a windows box is at 9.8 meters per second square."