[LUG] Is it possible....?

Hello!

 I am using a really old Pc with a 170mb (c:) and a 1.1gb(d:) hard disk.

drive D: (the 1.1gb disk) is currently the MS windows 95 bootable drive.

Drive C: is full of clutter and stuff I could probably bin.

I really want to get into linux and so was wondering if I could format drive
c: and install a version of linux (ie, having a duel boot system that would
allow me to try linux). I've read that I need 300mb to install linux! So I
am wondering if there is a smaller version that I could install that takes
less than (170 megs)????

If there is:-
1.Where do I get it?
2. And how much will it cost?