Re: [LUG] Linux is 10 years old

peterbunce wrote:

> no ms software is  nor, sorry to say, is any flavor of linux

Sorry lost me here.

Multitasking, well both Windows (95/NT/2K) and Linux run
multiple programs at the same time. NT/2K and LINUX even provide
protection of each program from the others running.

Multithreading - Windows programs make extensive use of threads,
so do Linux applications. I'm currently running at least two
multithreaded programs that I know of under Linux 2.2.19.

Indeed Windows use of threading really drove UNIX as far as I
can see, always a bit embarassing to have your latest RISC
technology outperformed by smarter software on a lowly x86
clone....

The Linux implementation of Posix threads is a little
non-standard, but not so much as to discourage people from
porting threaded applications from, and to, other flavours of
UNIX.

Of course part of the issue with Linux, was the cost of context
switching was always so much lower than things other operating
systems, that the benefits of threaded applications were that
much less (At least till you get multiprocessors trying to run
the same application at the same time).

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768