Re: [LUG] KPPP problems

Neil Williams wrote:

> I've finally got myself an external modem so that I can use Linux more than
> Windows. However, I can't access the internet connection once made.

What is the symptom?

What does "ifconfig" show?

What does "netstat -r" show?

Not some PPP set up rewrite /etc/resolv.conf - nasty.

Can you "ping ip.ad.dr.es" ? Try pinging the IP address of the
ISP DNS servers first!

> Using Mandrake 7.2 and KDE2, KPPP account settings include a domain name of
> localdomain and Automatic config. Is that right?

To be honest the domain name doesn't matter.

Your domain name is the default name to suffix unqualified
addresses with, unless your acting as a server, or trying to
talk to screaming.net systems by unqualified name it can be
anything.

> I've found the name server entries for the ISP (under the Mac FAQ) but no
> mention of the domain name. Would it be screaming.net?

Biggest problem with KPPP is it hides too much. I used it for a
while and then went to dial on demand configured with the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts files.

I still try it occaisonally, but it is always NT RAS servers who
object to something not being done the Microsoft way arghhh.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768