Re: [LUG] DNS

John Horne wrote:

> >>                                 1h )            ; minimum
> >
> > The last field in the SOA is negative cache time to live. An
> > hour seems generous, the old default was 10 minutes. This
> > field has changed meaning around the BIND 8.1 days.
> >
> True, but if your DNS domain changes little then I'd say a longer negative
> cache time is a good thing. We run ours at 3 hours. Except for busy servers
> I'd say the time value shouldn't make too much difference anyway :-)

Agreed it shouldn't make much difference. I mean if clients
repeatedly ask for things that don't exist, then something
else is wrong.

Guess with all these damned dynamic updates, I'd like the
ability to add a W2K box entries to the DNS faster than 3
hours (After clueless admin plugs it in, and finds "we don't
do dynamic updates"). Then again anything that delays the
march of Windows, even if only for 3 hours....