Re: [LUG] Blatant plug - Exim book

John Horne wrote:

> Sendmail is the most popularly used MTA (the software that sends your e-mail
> from one computer to another), and Exim is a drop-in replacement for it.

Is it worth mentioning that the majority of sendmail
installs "out there" have known security issues (If we can
believe the version strings, and I think we can).

The big mistake with MTAs is blindly using what is on the CD
without patches or thought.

Interesting Debian went with Exim, Mandrake went with
Postfix (Which is what I use).

The one thing that put me off Exim was the approach to
security - the author basically admits he has tried his
best, but that it wasn't a core goal, unlike Postfix and
qmail, and that he isn't a security guru (Unlike the authors
of Postfix and qmail).

The number of queries I get saying - can you help us with a
sendmail configuration issue - some up sendmail
configuration nicely. I tend to decline, life is too short
to muck with such arcane syntaxes, despite having mastered
it once in the past and having the book.

How well does Exim drop in? The first time I dropped Postfix
in I forgot to change the start up scripts, so the machine
started up Postfix when it rebooted *8-)