Re: [LUG] CD Player

Hi everyone. Is there a Mandrake user who can advise me about the
following -
I am new joiner to the list so I hope this problem hasn't been exhausted
before. I have just started with Mandrake 8.0 which seems to correctly
recognise my on-board sound chipset CMD8338 C3D unlike v7.1.  The multimedia
player works with WAV files but no sound is produced by the Kscd CD ROM
player. The eject button works and all the other buttons appear to operate
correctly and the access led flashes. The CDROM plays audio CDs in Windows
OK.  This isn't a desparate issue - just another awkard step to learning to
use Linux - and KMail's spell checker doesn't work for me either
Bob
<<

On Mandrake 7.2, I had to adjust the volume setting for CD input using
kmix - load it from a console or from the KMenu under Multimedia - Mixer.
For some reason, 7.2 set the CD output volume at 0.

What exactly do you mean about the spellchecker? What's not working?

Open a new message, enter "testing the spelchecker" and use Edit - Spelling.
What happens?

What happens when you go to Settings - spellchecker on the same menu?

Have you installed Ispell?
rpm -q ispell
#: ispell-3.1.20-13mdk (Mandrake 7.2, 8.0 may have a later version.)
rpm -q ispell-en
#: ispell-en-3.`.10-13mdk
(The english dictionary)

When correctly installed, ispell is also available as a console program:
ispell --help

ispell-en is about 3MB installed.

Neil Williams