RE: [LUG] Hardware

To be honest, the best advice I can give with getting Linux-friendly
hardware is to build a machine yourself.

Good points of this are:

1.  You know EXACTLY what is in the machine.
2.  You can make SURE that all the components work with Linux/*BSD/whatever
OS.

Downsides:

1.  Probably slightly more expensive.
2.  Takes time to build (especially if you've never done it before).
3.  No warranty/guarantee.

Having said that - I still feel this is the best way to go.  Plus it also
means you can be as minimalist as you like.  My current OpenBSD box is a
Celeron 333, 128MB of RAM, ABit Mobo, 10gig HD, IBM 100MB NIC and a 2MB
Cirrus Logic PCI video card.  I don't need sound, and if I could get rid of
the video card as well then I would (it just sits there on the floor as a
server).  If you're looking for a workstation though you'll want to choose a
decent video card that works well with the version of X11 that comes with
your distro.  I know my GEForce2MX works with RedHat 7.1.

As for modems - after many hours of pain trying to get Alex Charret's
internal modem working with him 2 years ago, I cannot vouch for external
modems highly enough :-)  I have a Diamond SupraExpress 56E Pro and it works
lovely.  Just make sure though that if you are using an external modem that
you have a decent (modern) UART on the serial port.  If you have anything
other than a 16550A UART you probably won't get 56k out of the modem.

J.

--
Jon Still                               E-mail: jon@xxxxxxxxxxx
System Administrator                    Web:    http://www.tertial.org/