Re: [LUG] Hardware

Paul Hewson wrote:

> I'm after recommendations as to where to get Linux friendly hardware.   I am
> interested either in a laptop or a cheap / secondhand desktop.   The computer
> is for use at work hence the illogicality.

ACER ship cheap mainstream Laptops.

I'm still not 100% convinced the hardware drivers are as
good as they could be, and the new ones have a cut down BIOS
(To stop Windows users fiddling I suspect).

ACER aren't into LINUX alas. But they run Linux far better
than they run Windows 98.

> My home PC has a Winmodem so I'd rather not repeat that mistake and the laptop
> howto makes for scary reading.   This is a heavily begrudged purchase as I
> can't get either a decent database or a decent GIS at work.   Studying spare
> time means I can't carry on taking work home either so I thought I'd think
> about replicating my home set up as far as possible.

Hmm the different ACER models have different built in
winmodems, so either read up, or be prepared to buy a PCMCIA
card modem.

Depends what you expect - basic PC functionality from a
Laptop isn't hard (Especially if they let you disable all
the M$ stuff in the BIOS), Laptop manufacturers often use
less popular graphics cards (People like VGA/PAL other), and
other accessories to achieve the desired form factor - so
expect a little fun with sound cards, and the like.

That said my experience is that Linux is slightly easier to
stick on a Laptop than Windows NT4..... Although in the case
of my current Laptop you can't install Windows NT due to
Microsoft licensing arrangements with the manufacture - so
Linux is a lot easier.

	Simon

PS: Buy the Laptop new with as little memory as you can (But
make sure it takes soDIMMs), then you can whack in 256MB for
about 100GBP or less.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?
www.eighth-layer.com