Re: [LUG] wireless musings

Simon Waters wrote:

> Hub thing - don't have one but I assume you mean a Wireless Access Point.

That'd be the one.

> Now would that be front garden or back?

Back. Front study, one door, 6m of landing striaght to bathroom door,
small window and downward sloping garden.

> I have one PC with poorly sited card (back of a PC facing a wall), no
> antenna, in upstairs Office and it illuminates the whole back garden and
> house adequately, go next door but one and the signal is barely
> detectable, drop a 5 dbi antenna on each end it is usuable again
> although not great.

Is there such a thing as "a fucking great antenna you shove in your loft"?

> So one ordinary house wall fine, but two or three no chance without
> antennas. But what's an ordinary house wall, some plaster board is lined
> with Aluminium foil, this won't help.

Think Regency. :)

> The tecnology is "line of sight" anything else is fortuitous.

Hmm.

> Yes, bridging is supported by some access points, 802.11b supports 250
> odd devices on one LAN, so chaining a few access points together to
> extend range is pretty common, but check it is a supported function of
> the Access Point, as the cheap ones often don't (although some can be
> reprogrammed if you like unsupported firmware - most people don't).

So, assuming I can get from front bedroom to back bedroom, with
reasonable lack of stone, I can wireless bridge to the garden?

> > Can you put a big extension ariel in the loft?
>
> Yes, but if it is just your garden a small antenna in the loft may well
> suffice unless you have a very big garden.

That'll do. That'll also reach the pub, I guess :)

Steve