Re: [LUG] wireless musings

On Monday 21 Jul 2003 2:40 pm, Steve Marvell wrote:
> I was wondering, ...
> What experiences have people got of wireless ethernet at home?
> If your hub thing is at the front of the house, does it work in the
> garden?
> How is it with thick walls?
> Can you have something at the back of the house to chain it to the
> garden?
> Can you put a big extension ariel in the loft?
> I'm going to get some of this tuff for my home/work linux kit, but
> it's important to be able to use it all over the house, in the garden
> and possibly next door.

I use a Cisco 340 series AP. It works from anywhere in my house, garden, car
(when parked in the street outside, obviously) and even from the neighbours
houses either side.

Bear in mind that the client cards make a difference too. The 340 series cards
are good for 30~40 metres whereas the 350's will do a hundred metres.

If you want to extend that range have a look at:
http://www.cantenna.com/

/rob