[LUG] Slightly OT: Anyone know anything about lottery grants for (very small) international projects ?

Has anyone in this group had any experience with apply for grants from the
lottery agencies. Now that the computers have arrived in the Philippines I
would like to help get the half built computer suit finished. It seems that
the Philippine government allocated money to the project and have now had to
scale back their plans, leaving the contractor in a dilemma (he's on a go
slow at the moment).

To give an idea of what we are up against, the guy who is going to install
the computers in their temporary home for the moment is proposing to earth
the system through a lead pipe that goes into the ground, so now I'm not
sure what I am more concerned about :  the kids getting electric shocks, or
the fact that they are slowly getting lead poisoning !

I checked out the "community grant" web pages, and it seems that you can
either apply for a smallish grant (which is what I would like) BUT only for
UK based projects, or if you want a grant for an international project you
have to be a largish registered charity and want a minimum grant of £60,000
which I would have problems spending ... well maybe not ... but spending in
a legitimate and morally justifiable (to myself that is) way if you know
what I mean !

Does anyone know of a middle scheme (say £5,000 - £10,000 grant for an
international project). I really don't want to get bogged down in paperwork
if I can avoid it, but on the other hand I know its a worthwhile project
that will bring real benefits to 1,000's of students now and in the future,
and of course expand their minds through the use of open source software. I
really need someone with the organisational skills (an dogged persistance),
so that I can continue to concentrate on the technical evaluation, equipment
aquisition and dispatch part.

Suggestions ?

Tom.

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council.