Re: comments: Re: [LUG] Open Source and Patents First Draft

Thanks for that Adrian

There are so many strong comments in your email, I have just appended the whole thing to the document for inclusion into the text later

Thanks Rick

I have mailed you what there is now off list.

If anyone else wants a copy let me know, although it needs work now to peice it all together. Perhaps Keith would like to have a crack at it

Thanks Rick

Adrian Midgley wrote:

EU/EC and national policy
In several areas the European Commission has promoted the use of Open Source software, and the development by Open SOurce methodologies, most notably in the field of healthcare.

This accords well with several nations' policies of preferring an Open Source solution to one which is encumbered, at present by proprietary rights and non-publication of the source code, but potentially by the inclusion of patented elements used to lock public services into a particualar company's product.

To the extent which extension or continuance of patentability of software components impeded this, such an extension would be contrary to that public policy and to the public interest which the policies serve.